Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Little tool for divers named "PP Mixer"


Lately, I did not write here a lot as I was occupied with other things.
One was a sort of manual or better instructions on how to use software I compiled for Pocket PC devices. Its name is PP Mixer. The name derives from Partial Pressure for PP and Mixer from mixing gasses to get homogeneous mixture ready for breathing under water. The software I compiled is taking in account temperature and compressibility of gasses. When talking about this two factors being included in calculations, we talk about real gas computation. The formula used for real gas computation in PP Mixer is Beattie-Bridgman equation of state.


The program can be downloaded at my modest website Divers SI where the short instructions (still not completely finished) on use of the program are available.

It was quite of a challenge for me to compile the "PP Mixer" as when starting, I did not know anything about real gas computation. Slowly I learned about the gas constants, Kelvin degrees of temperature, relations between ATA, Bar, PSI and other pressure units, Van Der Walls computation of state and others. Finally today I can say I managed to put together a useful tool for technical oriented divers which are mixing - blending their gases themselves.
The program is available as a freeware for everyone.

The tools I used to compile the program are a set of tools called eMbedded Visual Tools 3.0 - 2002 Edition and the specific tool I used is eMbedded Visual Basic 3.0.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This program is amazing. I saw it about 2 month ago. It is interesting because you made it. Tnx God we have you and you can help us at programming lessons.

Igor P said...

Thanks for nice words Matej, I wish I could do more.... Work, school, hobby, family and ..... sometimes is too much!

As I wrote, It was a chalange and I learned a lot puting it together.
It is still not a finished product .....

The program is now in use for arround two years by a big number of divers. I try to incorporate things they suggest and I got some lovely ideas from my diving mates, so still some things to do.

SueAnn said...

That’s the way to go, Igor :).

It’s a pity there is always too much to do. I share the same experience. Can you imagine that some people get bored because they don’t know what to do to “kill time”? I guess we just can’t be one of them ;).

Igor P said...

Never have an oportunity to be one of them, ...
Even being home because of the broken arm in past four months I did not have enought time to do everyting I wanted... the day was too short!!

Saša said...

I think such is life of all inquisitive, curious, explorative persons. Time flies. :-)

Igor P said...

Yes, you are correct Saša ... time flies so fast....

Any way, I know it is a silly question, is there anyone having some spear time to give away, I would need some....

I am taking just serious offers....

Contact me, maybe we could make a deal, I take some rest and you work....

Igor P said...

Now the PP Mixer is in version 2.0 and supports BB Mixing rule and GERG-2004 -> the holy grail of ral gas low.

Igor P said...

And now version 3 is at the dor for the release